You probably know about all those hacks where you use different natural ingredients to clean your home – vinegar, baking soda, ammonia, lemon juice, and just about everything else in your kitchen but have you ever heard of cleaning with vodka? Well, if you haven’t then I am about to tell you all about it and why you need to start using it.
Why It Works?
Vodka is a perfect disinfectant you can use to clean and disinfect different surfaces in your home. It works so well because of the high alcohol content.
Another huge benefit is the lack of smell which is why I prefer to use vodka instead of vinegar. I have always hated the smell of vinegar and just the thought of using it as a cleaner makes me nauseous.
The third benefit? It dries very quickly making it the perfect window cleaner!
How I Use Vodka To Clean My Home?
- In my bedroom, I use vodka to disinfect my mattress – something you should try as well! It’s super beneficial for your health especially if you have allergies.
I simply remove the sheets and sheets covers, then I pour vodka in a spray bottle and spray my mattress. Not only does it disinfect but it also removes any odours the mattress has absorbed.
And because it dries so quickly I am able to put back my sheets in under five minutes.
- I also use vodka to clean my bathroom. For example, I spray it on my fixtures then buff them with a towel to polish them.
- I remove soap scum by spraying vodka on my shower/ tub/ or any other surface I want to be free of soap scum then I let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing.
- I love using vodka to clean mirrors and windows! It’s the best thing you can use to easily leave your windows streak-free. I combine a cup of vodka and a cup of water in a spray bottle then I usually add a little bit of baking soda – and this is how I make the perfect glass cleaner!
- The next thing you can try is to remove any sweat stains from your clothes by using vodka. Again, fill a spray bottle with vodka and water, spray the affected area, leave it overnight then wash as usual.
- And finally – how I make my all-purpose cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with a cup of water, 1/4 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of vodka. You can also add your favourite essential oil (I use lavender which also has antibacterial properties). I use this mixture to disinfect and clean just about every surface in my home!